My Blog List

Monday, February 4, 2013

Log Cabin Heart Tutorial

Make a log cabin block using 1.5" strips. This tutorial may be helpful if you are not familiar with this block.

After your block is made fold it in half. You want the lighter strips towards the top and the darker strips towards the bottom.

Make a heart template using paper. After you make the template place it over the block and hold it up to a window to get an idea of what your heart will look like. You do not want to cut any of the lower dark strips. Do not cut the point!

See how the center block is now the center top part of the heart....

Add your ribbon, lace or whatever you will use to hang your heart. Add the batting to the back. I use my cheap batting for craft projects. I had to press mine down because it has a medium loft to it.

Cut out the backing fabric and place on top of the heart block. The backing fabric gets placed wrong side up. Leave a 2 - 3" opening for turning (you can see my pen marks). Stitch 1/4" all around.....turn, press, and hand stitch the opening closed.

Happy Valentines Day!

8 comments:

  1. I love this idea. On my bucket list.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is beautiful. I am going to make one this week!! Thanks for the tut!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sometimes one needs a sweet little project that can get finished. This one hits the spot. Love it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So cute! I'm going to make one! Thank you for the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a cute and quick gift to make - thanks for the tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love log cabin and I ADORE your log cabin heart, fantastic!! <3
    ~ Tabatha at BendingPins.com ~

    ReplyDelete
  7. So pretty and simple! It reminds me of the Swedish woven hearts only so much easier. Thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm going to make one of these before Valentine's day! Thanks for posting the tutorial.

    ReplyDelete

I may not always respond to comments, but I do read every single one of them and appreciate all the encouraging words!